By Brook, James
20/08/2014

Benefits of an Oil boiler service before Autumn

It's estimated that between 30 and 50 people die each year from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and many more are injured from unknowingly inhaling this colourless and odourless gas.

Installing a carbon monoxide detector, and ensuring boilers, ovens and other appliances are properly fitted and maintained will help to keep your home and family safe.

Before the cold weather kicks in this Autumn, we encourage you to get your oil boiler serviced by an approved OFTEC registered technician. Not only will an (heating oil) oil boiler service improve the performance of your boiler, but it will also ensure it is running safely so you and your family are protected from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are not always obvious, especially during low amounts of exposure. The below examples are taken from the NHS advice site.

The symptoms of exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide (CO) can be similar to those of many other conditions, such as food poisoning and flu. However, unlike flu, carbon monoxide poisoning does not cause a high temperature (fever).

The most common symptoms include:

The longer you inhale carbon monoxide, the worse your symptoms will be. You may lose balance, vision and memory. Eventually, you may lose consciousness. This can happen within two hours, if there is a lot of carbon monoxide in the air.

Long-term exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can also lead to neurological symptoms, including:

  • difficulty thinking or concentrating
  • frequent emotional changes – for example, becoming easily irritated, depressed or making impulsive decisions

So who is most at Risk?

Certain people in your household may be affected by carbon monoxide poisoning more quickly than others. Those at particular risk include:

babies and young children
pregnant women
people with heart or breathing problems

Pets may be the first to show signs of carbon monoxide poisoning because they are more vulnerable to the effects of the gas. The smaller an animal or a person is, the faster this will affect them. 

If your pet suddenly becomes ill or dies unexpectedly, and death is not related to old age or an existing health condition, you should investigate the possibility of a carbon monoxide leak.

Service your oil fired boiler or cooker sooner rather than later and avoid getting caught out this year with a costly boiler breakdown and more importantly getting caught out by Carbon Monoxide poisoning. We also sell Carbon Monoxide testers, so if you haven't already got one, we encourage you to.

Find out more.

Call a member of our Heating Services team to discuss your requirements and arrange for an oil boiler service. 0800 542 4208 

 

comments powered by Disqus