February 27, 2014
Residents living in Rix Petroleum’s heartland of East Yorkshire are being warned to be on their guard against oil thieves.
The warning comes after Humberside Police announced it is investigating a robbery that took place in Wansford, near Driffield, in which thieves stole domestic heating oil to the value of £600 from an outside tank.
The theft incident took place sometime between Thursday, February 13 and Saturday, February 15.
Anyone who saw anything suspicious between those dates is asked to contact Humberside Police on 101 quoting the reference number CS/2027563.
Duncan Lambert, director and general manager of Rix Petroleum, said heating oil theft was a common problem for rural households in Yorkshire and across the rest of the UK.
He offered the following tips to help protect homeowners against being targeted:
- If you have new thank fitted ensure it is close to the house to dissuade thieves from coming too close.
- Ensure you tank is fitted with a lid and is padlocked.
- Check you tank’s gauge on a regular basis.
- Grow trees or shrubs around your tank, or put a fence round it, to make it harder for thieves to identify.
- Fit motion sensitive lights overlooking your tank.
- Consider fitting an electronic gauge to your tank. These have an alarm that can be set up to sound in your home if the oil level suddenly drops below a certain level.
- If you store a large quantity of fuel on site consider fitting CCTV.
- Try to disguise the top of your tank as thieves are increasingly turning to software such as Google Maps to locate properties to target.
To find out more about domestic fuel oil security give us a call on 01482 83 83 83 or email the team at firstname.lastname@example.org