June 24, 2013

Whether you rent or hire your heating oil tank it is important to know your way around your system in order to ensure that you are able to monitor and maintain it correctly.

Here is a brief guide heating oil tank terminology.


When your heating oil tank is being filled the vent allows vapour and air to be released into the atmosphere. When fuel is drawn off the vent also allows air into the tank.

It is crucial that the vent is always kept free of dirt and debris.

Isolation valve

Also known as the service valve the isolation valve is usually found at the tank outlet and allows heating oil users to shut off the supply of oil from their tank.

Contents gauge

The contents gauge on your heating oil tank can be visual, manual or wireless and gives you a reading indicating how much heating oil is in your tank.

The reading may be available on or next to your heating oil tank, or in a location away from your tank, such as in your kitchen.

Prevention device/overfill alarm

This device will give you a visual warning or sound an alarm, or a combination of two, to warn you that your tank is in danger of overfilling. A prevention device will automatically stop the delivery of oil to your tank.

Fill point

A fill point is the pipe connected to your tank which allows heating oil delivery drivers to fill your tank. Again this can be connected at the tank, or piped to a remote fill location.

Supply pipework

Supply pipework for heating oil tanks can either be located above or below ground and can be made from plastic-coated copper or approved plastic pipe (for underground use).

In order to prevent underground pipework from damage, accidental or otherwise, warning tape should be used to mark the route of the pipework. Pipework installed above ground should be attached to a permanent structure and purpose-made clips should be used for support.

comments powered by Disqus