February 08, 2013

What are they?

Energy Performance Certificates rate homes on their energy efficiency and carbon emissions. Introduced in 2007 they give property buyers a quick, simple, upfront guide of the building efficiency, where improvements can be made, and through this an idea of any cost savings or financial implications they will incur. They are required for any property that is built, sold or rented. The EPC is valid for 10 years and rates properties from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient).

Do you need one if I have home heating oil?

Regardless of which form of energy runs your home whether it is home heating oil, gas or electricity, it is a legal requirement for all new and most existing builds to have an EPC. Examples of properties that don’t require one include listed buildings and holiday or residential accommodation that is used for less than 4months a year.

How do you get one?

If you want to see how efficiently your home heating oil and rest of your property is running then you can get an EPC from an accredited assessor. Depending on whether you own or rent your property this can either be arranged privately or through your landlord. Costs for an EPC can be between £60 and £120.

What are the ratings given on?

There are a number of variables that will contribute to the score given from age of property to size and even home heating oil system. When your property is being assessed they examine different parts of your home such as the insulation, home heating oil boiler, water tank, heating system, whether you have double glazing, window frames etc. The observations are then calculated in a software program that produces the energy efficiency result and projected costs of recommended improvement.

What do they look like?

Below is a sample EPC that shows the breakdown of ratings from A-G given to a property. 

energy rating

comments powered by Disqus