- CSR Policy
As a responsible, independent, family-owned company, built over 140 years, we believe that the long-term future of our business is best served by respecting the interests of all our stakeholders, customers, suppliers, employees and the wider community.
This ethos of fairness is spread across our entire family of companies, such as Fuel distribution, Shipping, Car retailing, manufacturing, property, warehousing and stevedoring.
We continue to develop our corporate social responsibility (CSR) policies to make a positive impact for all of our working environments where possible. And this activity takes various forms: from raising money for a group charity to our bike to work campaign for our employees, to supporting local and national charities.
Whilst we're proud of our rich past, we are firmly focussed on our future, and our CSR policies form a large part of Rix’s future.
At Rix, we operate in an environmentally responsible and sustainable manner whenever we possibly can and our dedicated HSE department makes sure that safety is at the forefront of our corporate culture and practices.
Rix Petroleum is approved by Alcumus ISOQAR and are compliant with the requirements of ISO 9001 Quality Management System, ISO 14001 Environmental Management and ISO 50001 Energy Management. This allows us to follow a systematic approach in achieving continual improvement of energy performance, including energy efficiency, energy security, energy use and consumption. The standard aims to help organisations continually reduce their energy use, and therefore their energy costs and their greenhouse gas emissions.
We are always working on reducing our carbon emissions and our different departments all play key roles in this.
Tankers and drivers
- All the trucks conform to the AdBlue Euro 6 emissions standards, ensuring they are among the most environmentally friendly on the road.
- Our drivers listen to traffic announcements to help reduce any unnecessary driving or excessive use of fuel.
- We have several buying groups that purchase their fuel from us. The great thing about these groups is that we can deliver to a number of properties in the same day and only use one tanker, so reducing our fuel needs and emissions.
Office environment and employees
We support and encourage our staff to help reduce our businesses carbon footprint wherever possible in the workplace.
- We encourage staff to choose low emission company vehicles.
- We have fitted low energy, LED lights with motion detectors that automatically turn off when the room is empty
- We have installed water boilers for staff to make hot drinks, instead of boiling a kettle all day
- We have recently joined a Bike 2 Work scheme, which is a government lead initiative to promote healthier journeys to work and to reduce environmental pollution.
- We encourage all departments to use local suppliers as much as possible.
- We promote energy conservation and reduce energy consumption through controls on water, heating and electrical systems.
- We reuse and recycle waste where possible.
- Each office space is responsible for their own heating controls. This means that we do not unnecessarily heat unoccupied offices.
Ships and Barges
Rix Shipping, Rix Shipping Scotland and Rix Sea Shuttle’s Environmental Management System is based on the requirements of ISO 14001:2007 and the ISM Code, and we are committed to the protection and conservation of the environment.
We will strive to:
- Prevent pollution at all times, and aim for zero spills.
- Make efficient use of resources.
- Minimise waste and emissions to air and water.
- Provide effective monitoring of environmental performance.
Victory Leisure Homes
Leisure home manufacturer and a sister company of J R Rix & sons, Victory, had a Wind Turbine installed at their HQ which has an output of 174,000 KWh/year and will help save 95,000kgs CO2 per year.
Victory also had solar panels installed on their factory roof which create an output of 80,000 KWh/year which has a saving of 44,000 kgsCO2/year.
We are proud of the support we offer to the local communities that surround our depots. From Young Farmers groups to sports teams and charity events, we work closely with the community to help as many great causes as possible.
- Our group charity for 2016 is Macmillan Cancer Support.
- We sponsor of the Rix Pavilion at the Driffield Showground
- We work with and sponsor Bridlington and Alnwick Young Farmer groups
- Sponsorship of local groups and fundraising events
- Supporting local agricultural shows
- Sponsorship of Kenilworth Rugby club