Did you know that carrots can grow all year round? If you plant them in February, be sure to plant them undercover though.
Carrot cake became popular in the 1960s, but it is thought that corrots have been used in deserts, sweets and cakes since medieval times. Here is a simple recipe for a great, moist carrot cake.
Recipe serves 8.
- 100g finely grated carrots
- 2 eggs
- 120g caster sugar
- 120g self-raising flour
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 60g of desiccated coconut
- 55g chopped walnuts
- 100g full fat soft cheese
- 60g sifted icing sugar
- 1 grated orange rind
- Grease oven proof tin and heat oven to 180˚C.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar and eggs in stages.
- Fold the nutmeg, coconut, walnuts, grated carrots and oil into the mixture.
- Put the cake mixture in the oven for 20 minutes, check with a skewer and return to the oven for 5 more minutes if needed.
- Leave the cake to cool to an ambient temperature.
- Beat together the icing ingredients.
- Apply the icing mixture to the top of cake.
- Enjoy your homemade cake with a lovely warm cup of tea.