Rix are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following policy carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
The Data Controllers for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 are listed at the end of this policy.
By submitting your information to us, you consent to the collection, use and transfer of your information under the terms of this policy.
Information that we may collect and hold about you:
We may collect and process personal details about you such as your name, address, date of birth, telephone number, fax number, email address, trading name, trade or occupation as well as the following data about you:
This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our website, subscribing to our service and placing an order for products or services through any of our websites as listed at the end of this policy (the Websites) or submitting an enquiry through our Websites. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with one of our Websites;
- Information you provide by filling in forms when you request an account with us. This includes information provided when you fill in our credit account application form, or any other account application form;
- Information you provide to us when you order products or services from us;
- Information relating to any account you hold with us, including information obtained from credit reference and fraud prevention agencies;
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website and details of the fulfilment of your orders;
- Details of your visits to our Website including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs and other communication data, whether this is required for our own billing purposes or otherwise and the resources that you access;
- If you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence;
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
Use of your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- To enable us to provide you with access to all parts of our Website;
- To administrate or otherwise carry out our obligations arising from any contracts or other agreements you have with us, to supply you with products or services, to produce invoices or billing statements, for the purposes of delivery, and to create and administer your account(s);
- To process orders or applications submitted by you;
- To notify you about changes or developments to our products or services;
- If you apply for or have an account with us, for credit referencing and to assess your credit status on an ongoing basis, to verify your identity and for the purposes of fraud prevention. Please note that credit searches and the information supplied by us and held by credit reference agencies are used by us and other organisations to help make decisions about other credit applications made by you or those to whom you are linked financially, as well as to trace debtors, recover debt and prevent money laundering and fraud. You and any person to whom you are linked financially should understand that each other's information will be taken into account in any future application by either you or your financial partner;
- To administer, support, improve and develop our business;
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, or which we feel may better meet your needs, unless you have asked us not to use your information in this way;
- To confirm, update and enhance your records;
- For statistical analysis;
- To anticipate and resolve problems with any goods or services supplied to you;
- To carry out activities necessary to the running of our business;
- For market research and to administer and run competitions, prize draws and other promotions.
- For behavioural targeting purposes. More information on this can be found below within the "Cookies" section.
We may use your data to provide you with information about goods and services, which may be of interest to you, and we may contact you about these by e-mail, post or telephone.
If you do not want us to use your data in any of the above ways please contact us using one of the methods set out at the end of this policy. This right may be exercised at any time.
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small files stored on your computer or device when you visit a website.
Types of Cookies used;
Session or temporary Cookies are only there for the duration of your site visit. These are used to add functionality to the site. They don’t store any personal information about you and are deleted when you close your browser.
Permanent or persistent Cookies are placed on sites to remember useful information about returning visitors. These will stay on your device until you either clear your cache or they expire.
Analytics Cookies help us to see how many visitors our site receives and which content they find interesting.
Cookies are an essential tool in the development and maintenance of a website. By collecting small amounts of information it gives us great feedback, insight and understanding into our customers site visits. By tracking our websites performance in this way we can successfully deliver the products and services you are looking for, improve navigation and usability ultimately creating a safe, secure environment for you to browse in.
If you don’t allow cookies to be used then you will have restricted access to some of the features on our website. It will also mean your user journey wont be tracked so any opportunity to improve your online experience with us will be lost.
If you want to read more on Cookies visit www.allaboutcookies.org.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to any member of our group, which means our subsidiaries, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 736 of the UK Companies Act 1985, including but not limited to any of the following companies, Rix Petroleum (Hull) Limited, registered no. 567133, Rix Petroleum (Scotland) Limited, registered no. 5908639, Fuelmate Limited, registered no 6553782 and Victory Leisure homes Limited, registered no 6800412, Rix Petroleum (East Anglia) Limited, registered no. 5908518, Rix Heating Services Limited, registered no. 5905816, J R Rix & Sons Limited, registered no. 577587, Rix Petroleum (Midlands) Limited, registered no. 6560383, Rix Shipping Co. Limited, registered no. 5094504, Jordan & Co. (Hull) Limited, registered no. 858063 whose registered office is 45-52 Witham, Hull HU9 1BS, Maritime Bunkering Limited, registered no. 3156664, Hepworth Shipyard Limited, registered no. 1342877, Rix Shipping (Scotland) Limited, registered no. 30733 (Scotland) whose registered office is Meridan Street, Montrose, DD10 8DS, Rix Biodiesel Limited, registered no. 3671207 all of whose registered office is at Witham House, 45 Spyvee Street, Hull, East Yorkshire, HU8 7JR unless otherwise indicated.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To employees and third parties who act for us for the purposes set out in this policy or for other purposes approved by you. This includes disclosing your details for the purposes of order fulfilment and delivery;
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, or anyone is interested in buying our business, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets;
- If we or substantially all of our assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our users will be one of the transferred assets;
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply our Terms and Conditions of Sale or Use or any other agreement; or to protect the rights, property or safety of us, our website users or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction;
- To any of our agents or sub-contractors;
- To any person to whom we propose to transfer any of our rights or duties under any agreement we have with you;
- If we have issued you with a fuel card or any other card, to any organisation which endorses the card.
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area (EEA). It may also be processed by staff operating outside the EEA who work for us or for one of our suppliers. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this policy.
Information placed on your computer
"Cookies" are small pieces of information sent by a web server (such as that used to run this Website) to an individual's computer, which are then stored on the computer's hard drive.
You may refuse to accept cookies by activating the setting on your browser which allows you to refuse the setting of cookies (your help screen or manual should tell you how to do this).
Yell (Part of Hibu) have a pixel on our website www.rix.co.uk which enables cookies to be dropped onto user’s machines. These cookies may be used to target users on 3rd party websites within the Yell network. For further information about behavioural targeting please visit www.youronlinechoices.com which will explain behavioural targeting in more detail, and will allow you to opt-out of being targeted for any behavioural advertising by any member of the Internet Advertising Bureau such as Yell..
Non personal information
Like all Websites, our servers automatically record "log files" containing non personal information about the volume and characteristics of our Website traffic. We use log files to build pictures of how our Website is used to help us to monitor and improve the service. We cannot identify you from your log files.
Our Website may, from time to time, contain links to and from the Websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these Websites, please note that these Websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these Websites.
Security, storage and data retention
The data that we collect from you will be held securely at our registered office located in the UK.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our Websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
We employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction and damage.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Websites; any transmission is at your own risk. We will retain your information for a reasonable period or as long as the law requires.
Accessing and updating
You are entitled to see the information held about you and if you request such information we are entitled by law to charge a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with such information.
Keeping our records accurate
We aim to keep our information about you as accurate as possible. If you would like to review or change the details you have supplied us with, please contact us as set out below.
Any changes to this policy in the future will be posted to the Website and, or where appropriate, may be notified to you by e-mail or post.
The data controllers for the relevant companies are as follows:-
J R Rix & Sons Limited
Rix Petroleum (Hull) Limited
Rix Petroleum (Scotland) Limited
Rix Petroleum (East Anglia) Limited
Rix Petroleum (Midlands) Limited
Rix Petroleum (Mercia) Limited
Rix Heating Services Limited
Rix Shipping Co Limited
Jordan & Co (Hull) Limited
Maritime Bunkering Limited
Hepworth Shipyard Limited
Rix Shipping (Scotland) Limited
Rix Biodiesel Limited
Victory Leisure Homes Limited
Rix Sea Shuttle Limited
Comments, queries and requests regarding this policy are welcomed. If at any time you would like to contact us, you can do so by any of the following means:
Telephone: 01482 224422
Letter: Data Controller, c/o J R Rix & Sons Ltd, Witham House, 45 Spyee Street, Hull, HU8 7JR