Carbon Monoxide Safety
- Heating Services
- Carbon Monoxide Safety
Research suggests that in the UK only 52% of homes have a carbon monoxide detector. Each year in the UK 4000 people are admitted to A&E with carbon monoxide poisoning, 200 people are hospitalised and 50 people die. Preventing this tragedy can be really easy, so we’ve put together some quick facts below. to help raise awareness and give advice on how you can protect yourself.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a chemical produced when a fuel does not burn completely, and can be produced by appliances that are not working or installed correctly.
Why is it dangerous?
It is poisonous to humans because the molecules attach themselves to haemoglobin, preventing the transport of blood around the body. It is also impossible for a person to detect as it has no smell or taste.
How do I know if I’ve been poisoned?
The symptoms are tiredness & confusion, headache, dizziness, nausea, sickness, shortness of breath, loss of consciousness or coordination.
What do I do if I have these symptoms?
Open any windows/doors you can to get fresh air, turn off all your appliances and go to a doctor or hospital immediately.
As a heating oil user, Am I at risk?
Is an oil boiler safe?
Carbon monoxide is usually associated with gas appliances, but your oil fired appliances can also produce carbon monoxide if not properly installed or maintained.
How can I prevent it happening?
You should have your oil boiler serviced once a year by an OFTEC registered engineer, additionally you should buy a carbon monoxide detector for your home.
How can I protect myself and my family?
Get your oil Boiler Serviced annually.
We have OFTEC registered engineers that can perform a boiler service to ensure your oil boiler is safe and working efficiently. You can book a service online or call us on 0800 542 4208.
Get a carbon monoxide detector
Our engineer can sell you a detector when he visits, or you can call us on 0800 542 4208 to order one.